On Thursday 06 March 2003 01:36 pm, et wrote:
> On Thursday 06 March 2003 01:29 pm, Diane Arsenault wrote:
> > OK, guys, these are two things I haven't tried yet.  Dennis suggested I
> > connect my CD-ROM as the Primary SLAVE.  Jonathan suggested I try
> > disconnecting the CD-RW.  I'm going to try both right now.  I will post
> > back to the list with the results!
> >
> > Thank you sooooo much to everyone for trying to help me out.  I am really
> > anxious to learn Linux, but this has been very discouraging for me.  Wish
> > me luck!
> >
> > Diane
> > P.S.  I checked the jumpers on these drives a few days ago - they are set
> > properly.
>
> so sorry I jumped in late and did not read the complete first post to
> reliaze you had already tried cdrom.img, how ever, rebooting durring the
> install process is not normal, (this ain't winders) and I am now wondering
> at what point and why did it reboot? and was the floppy still in the floppy
> drive when it reboots? and before it reboots durring the install process
> does it give you the chance to reboot or does it just throwdown and
> restart?
and a good chance to introduce you to a "kwel" feature in most linux shells.
autocomplete.
anytime you dont know the name of some command or how to complete some command
with the complete name of a file, type in what ever you know, and if you got
no clue, leave it blank, but hit "tab" and autocomplete will offer up all the
remaining possiblities, so when it asks for "kernel info" what does it say
when you tab?

when you say "and I get a message that it can't find the CD-ROM." is this in
the installers graphic program?

I would also like to know if this has an "onboard" shared memory video card,
as that may be the "root" of any reboot durring install, other than the final
reboot.

  Asks me which driver to try. (I have NO idea).  If I randomly choose a
driver to try (what the heck, aye), I get asked for kernel info.  Well, now
I'm just lost.