On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 03:48, Albert Charron wrote:
> I'd like to have your advice on a new installation.  For this installation, I plan
> to use 3 hard disk (IDE).  This machine will be use as a file server for my Windoze
> machines.  Additionnal services will be CVS, HTTP, MySQL
>
> 3 HD are:
>  - 40Gigs
>  - 10Gigs
>  - 4Gigs
>
> How should I partition (partition size, location, etc.) these HD?
>
> Distro I plan to use is Mandrake 9.0.  System memory for this machine is 384 Megs.

Windows file server:

40gb drive ----> * /boot partition - 100mb
                   /     partition - 10gb
                   /var  partition - the rest of the drive
10gb drive ----> * SWAP  partition - 1gb
                   /home partition - the rest of the drive
4gb drive  ---->   /tmp  partition - the entire drive

Use the /var partition for your Windows share(s) - create a directory
underneath the /var (like /var/file_share) and use that for your
sharing/network file archive

The /home is large enough to contain all the users email folders/files,
as well as your local home directory for mucking around and the likes.

By balancing out the system as such - keeping the OS on one physical
drive, the SWAP on another physical drive, and the /tmp on another
physical drive, you're "load balancing" and gaining the most performance
overall.

You might want to check into what file system(s) you're going to want to
use - I've found that ReiserFS is rather speedy - especially for my
Windows shares - heaps of small files and large writes/reads...

But that's IMHO - others may beg to differ.

HTH!

--
Wed Mar 19 14:25:00 EST 2003
 14:25:00 up 16:10,  3 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.14, 0.10
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
 linux user:267497 * MDK 9.1 * PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Consulting
 machine no:194239 * RH 7.3 * Sales - Service - Support - Tutor
** This messages was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer **

Teutonic:
        Not enough gin.