On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 11:11:30AM -0600, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Friday March 21 2003 08:33 am, Richard Urwin wrote:
> > $ eject /dev/scd0                        # Came out, went back in
> > again $ sudo umount -l /mnt/cdrom2
> > Password:
> > $ eject /dev/scd0                        # Came out, stayed out
>
>      Here again, I don't think it was the 'umount' that did the trick.
> Konqueror's hold on the device had probly expired by then. IME, even
> tho you had already closed Konqueror, it still takes some time to
> release.  A CDr can't be mounted, since you can only mount
> filesystems. There ain't one on blank CDr's (or images like audio
> CD's) ;)  After you burned it, and then checked with a file manager,
> supermount did mount it, and it was probly Konq that took it's sweet
> damn time lettin it go.
>

> > While I grant that that sequence took thirty seconds or so, and
> > things may have changed between the two ejects, that was a lot less
> > time than I took fiddling with it last night.
>
>     I don't know about GUI's, but all my CL solutions (biso, bacd,
> bdcd) contain 'eject'.  ie,
> alias bdcd='cdrecord -v -eject speed=4 dev=0,0,0  -data'
>     So the CDr is immediately ejected right after fixating is
> finished.  Then to check the CD, I push the drawer back in and bring
> it up in a terminal and do a 'ls' on it, or use a file manager like
> Konqueror. Then I either wait a while, or if I'm impatient, use
> 'eject /dev/scd0' to retrieve it.
>
>    'man eject' says "If the device is currently mounted, it is
> unmounted before ejecting."  Maybe in your case it's havin trouble
> over riding Konq's hold?  Doesn't happen to me, I suspect it could be
> permissions. What's your msec level?  I run at msec 2 just so my
> system doesn't argue with me about what I wanna do ;>  To tell the
> truth, 'bout the only time my burner won't give up a CD is after doin
> 'md5sum /dev/scd0' to check the integrity of burned iso's. 'eject'
> always gets it for me tho ;)

An update on the non-ejecting business. I don't have supermount enabled,
so that can't be it. The other suggestions have not worked, either. BUT,
after burning a few more CDs, it seems that I only have this problem
when I use "-overburn". So until I can eject after overburning, that's
my story and I'm sticking to it!

Todd