On Friday March 21 2003 08:33 am, Richard Urwin wrote:
> $ eject /dev/scd0                        # Came out, went back in
> again $ sudo umount -l /mnt/cdrom2
> Password:
> $ eject /dev/scd0                        # Came out, stayed out

     Here again, I don't think it was the 'umount' that did the trick.
Konqueror's hold on the device had probly expired by then. IME, even
tho you had already closed Konqueror, it still takes some time to
release.  A CDr can't be mounted, since you can only mount
filesystems. There ain't one on blank CDr's (or images like audio
CD's) ;)  After you burned it, and then checked with a file manager,
supermount did mount it, and it was probly Konq that took it's sweet
damn time lettin it go.

> While I grant that that sequence took thirty seconds or so, and
> things may have changed between the two ejects, that was a lot less
> time than I took fiddling with it last night.

    I don't know about GUI's, but all my CL solutions (biso, bacd,
bdcd) contain 'eject'.  ie,
alias bdcd='cdrecord -v -eject speed=4 dev=0,0,0  -data'
    So the CDr is immediately ejected right after fixating is
finished.  Then to check the CD, I push the drawer back in and bring
it up in a terminal and do a 'ls' on it, or use a file manager like
Konqueror. Then I either wait a while, or if I'm impatient, use
'eject /dev/scd0' to retrieve it.

   'man eject' says "If the device is currently mounted, it is
unmounted before ejecting."  Maybe in your case it's havin trouble
over riding Konq's hold?  Doesn't happen to me, I suspect it could be
permissions. What's your msec level?  I run at msec 2 just so my
system doesn't argue with me about what I wanna do ;>  To tell the
truth, 'bout the only time my burner won't give up a CD is after doin
'md5sum /dev/scd0' to check the integrity of burned iso's. 'eject'
always gets it for me tho ;)