On Monday 31 Mar 2003 6:24 am, Bob wrote:
> Hi Listers
>       I've downloaded and tried to install mozilla-1.3-1mdk.i586.rpm on my MDK
> 9.0 box. Here is my list of unsatisfied dependencies.
>
> error: failed dependencies:
>       libnspr4 = 1.3-1mdk is needed by mozilla-1.3-1mdk
>       libnss3 = 1.3-1mdk is needed by mozilla-1.3-1mdk
>       gtk+2 >= 2.2.0 is needed by mozilla-1.3-1mdk
>       libXft.so.2   is needed by mozilla-1.3-1mdk
>       libXrandr.so.2   is needed by mozilla-1.3-1mdk
>       libfontconfig.so.1   is needed by mozilla-1.3-1mdk
>       libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)   is needed by mozilla-1.3-1mdk
>       mozilla = 1.1 is needed by galeon-1.2.5-8mdk
>       mozilla = 1.1-10mdk is needed by mozilla-mail-1.1-10mdk
>       mozilla = 1.1-10mdk is needed by mozilla-irc-1.1-10mdk
>       libgtksuperwin.so   is needed by galeon-1.2.5-8mdk
>
> When you guru's are faced with the same thing do you have a better solution
> than to chase down each of these files one by one?
>
> TIA
>
> Bob

Where did you find mozilla 1.3 for Mandrake 9.0?  I cannot find it in any of
the usual sources. I suspect you have got yourself mozilla-1.3 for 9.1 in
which case there will be many dependencies which will be difficult for you to
resolve. The simplest way round it is to upgrade to 9.1, or else get the
mozilla source and compile it yourself.

As for the question do we "not quite so newbies" chase down dependencies one
at a time?

The answer is no. We (or at least I) define a number of urpmi sources such as
Texstar, plf, and Mandrake Club where updated packages appear for various
Mandrake releases. The simple command
urpmi mozilla
would be all that was needed to upgrade to the latest version of mozilla the
sources contained as well as all its dependencies.

Go here to define urpmi sources http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php
Read about urpmi here http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jwrobinson/docs.html

derek

--