They say the memory goes first :-)). So I checked some more and am
answering my own question....

I had actually sent a msg to a new fluxbox convert several months ago.
My knowledge, in turn came from something Derek had posted.

Anyhow, to get fluxbox to see your 'startup' script you need a line in
the ~/.fluxbox/init config file that says:

session.screen0.rootCommand ~/.fluxbox/startup

The file 'startup' must be executable.

Works fine now.

Terry Smith
Cape Cod USA