quoting Sharrea's missive of Wednesday 04 June 2003 07:06 am:
<major whacks>
> > P4 2.5ghz brand new
> > Radeon 9700
> > Kingston DDR 333 1 gb of RAM
> > Asus P4C800 DX (Deluxe) mobo
I believe someone already mentioned this but the Intel 875 chipset is so new
that the support in the kernel may not have been implemented yet. Nor is the
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro completely supported yet. Manufacturers are wont to
support the highest percentage of users with early production hardware, which
in this case means MS users. Be patient, and try the drivers I sent you the
link for yesterday Heather.
> > SBLive SC
> > Onboard Ethernet (Gigabit) + Onboard sound (disabled ofc)
> > Onboard RAID & SATA (which is useless atm...sigh)
> >
> > Other than that what other info is needed? If any? Ty
> > -------------
> > FemmeFatale, aka The Skirt
>
> I used to have 1152 MB RAM and used the enterprise kernel with MDK 8.1.  I
> now have 1024 MB RAM and although the enterprise kernel still gets
> installed by default with MDK 9.0, I uninstall it and use the standard
> kernel simply because I can't get the nvidia drivers to work with the
> enterprise kernel but they work fine with the standard kernel.
>
> And before anyone aks, yes I was using the nvidia rpm for the enterprise
> kernel as well as trying the club rpms, rangers rpms, nvidia src rpms,
> nvidia tarballs... all resulted in being unable to start KDE or Gnome (all
> other WMs worked for a while but with occasional segfaults).
>
> So Femme, if you end up trying the nvidia drivers with the enterprise
> kernel and run into problems, then try the standard kernel.
>
> Also, I didn't notice any increase in performance (system speed) by
> switching to the standard kernel.  And even with only 1 GB of RAM the swap
> is never touched.
>
> Cheers
> Sharrea

Sharrea;

It's good that you managed to get things running satisfactorily. However...

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that a Radeon 9700 Pro is an
NVidia card. It is _not_; it's from ATI. The drivers you suggest won't work.
At all. The drivers she needs for that card are in the contrib directory on
the mirrors; i.e: ati2. Or from source forge gatos project page for the
latest versions. The contrib versions are from mid March.

(As an aside, and not intended as a hi-jack of the thread.)
I'm helping my son install Mandrake 9.1 this weekend, and since he has a
motherboard that uses the N-Force2 chip-set, (Asus A7N8X I believe) *and* a
Radeon 9500 Pro graphics card, I will probably have a worse headache than I
do now. _Two_ separate graphic related modules in the same kernel build?
Yech! We'll see. Even KNOPPIX 3.2 won't work correctly in that environment.

I'll let the list know (In my own thread. If anyone cares.) if I manage it,
and what was required; or if I end by launching the box out of a window. <g>

Or worse. ;-)

Regards;
C.
--