Dear Femme; You said it yourself. Enterprise kernel is for systems above a Gig. You
have exactly a Gig. The thing is, I saw the list of hardware you have on a previous
port ( nice hardware by the way ), and I don't think that the E-kernel will do the
trick for you. It's designed for your usual server-based "services" which don't do a
lot of exciting things, just a lot of "server" things in a very stable manner. I'm
running the E-kernel on a dual Athlon server with 2 Gigs of ram and it's very nice,
but not designed for multi-media stuff. Your system is screaming for a standard kernel
or the SMP kernel.

As far as seeing only 800 Megs of your ram is concerned, that's because of two things
- 1) Linux only needs 800 on your system, and 2) you don't have OVER a Gig. Normally,
Linux takes all the available ram and manages it so that different applications can
have what they need. Once you get up topwards a Gig however, you start heading into
"server-country", and that's where the E-kernel kicks in. I think Linus designed it
that way because he never conceived of a desktop user needing more than 6 or 7 hundred
Megs of ram, and figured that anyone using more than that would probably be using it
for a server.

Your hardware is obviously for a multi-media desktop PC, but since the installer sees
a Gig of ram, it assumes that you have a server and installs the E-kernel, thinking
it's doing you a favour. You can leave it there and try it out, but I think the only
ploace you'll notice a difference is in stability. That's the good news. The bad news
is that your motherboard will probably run your FSB bus at a slower rate with that
much ram in it.

I've got the Asus A7V8X in mine (what can I say? I'm a nut for AMD!), and I noticed an
improvement in my system when I pulled 512 Megs of ram OUT, and dropped it down to
512Mb's! If you've got two sticks of ram on-board, try pulling out half, and
restarting with the normal kernel. I think you'll be surprised.

Asus boards have a nasty habit of dropping the speed of your Front-Side Bus down a
notch or two when you run that much ram, so by pulling out half, the FSB should go
back up to the fastest speed that your CPU can handle. It wouldn't surprise me to find
out that your system runs 10% faster afterwards. I haven't found out if this "quirk"
is due to the chipset or just the nature of the beast, yet, but if I do, I'll let you
know.

Hope this helps (?). By the way, I meant what i said about you NOT being a dummy! I
think that the term "dummies" is synonymous with "Microsoft Windows User", and is
especially reserved for those that never take the time to read "End-User License
Agreements" (EULA's), so that they can discover which of their privacy rights they are
surrendering to MicroShaft. I don't think you'd qualify for that title, nor would
anyone on this list, since they're already using or looking for a decent alternative!

Anyway, try a variety of kernels if you like. It won't harm your system, and after a
few weeks you can decide if there's a difference or not, but kep in mind the idea of
dropping your ram to 512Mb's.

Cheers!

(Nice flaming red hair by the way! That was a wig, right?)

Lanman