On Tuesday 27 May 2003 05:29 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:

I'd just like to mention something, concerning this thread, from my own
personal experience.

I switched from a SCSI card with DVD and CDRW to an all IDE DVD and CDRW
setup.

IMHO, SCSI wins...hands down. (except for price and taking up an IRQ/PCI
slot).

Let me explain.

Using SCSI, I never saw but very litte overhead. Burning a CD with the Plextor
48/24/48A takes nearly 100% of CPU time. Sometimes, it even affects mouse
cursor movement (read jerky).

DVD playback was much smoother on the SCSI DVD than on the Toshiba IDE. I do
have DMA enable for both IDE drives.

I do have 80 conductor cables too.

BTW, I replaced both SCSI drives with the same brand names, i.e., Plextor and
Toshiba.

 My hardware is good - 512 megs of Corsair DDR Ram, AMD XP2100, Soyo Dragon
MB.

Tom, can you or anyone else offer suggestions as to how to get my IDE drives
up to the level I'm used to SCSI? (its really during burning or duping that
one really notes the difference).

Thanks, as always! :-)

--

                                                                      /\