On Wednesday 28 May 2003 06:17 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:

>    Not really. I have no hands on scsi experience. As to IDE CD
> drives, about the only optimization is to enable DMA. You can do
> this after installin 'hdparm' by editing /etc/sysconfig/harddisks
> and uncommenting,  # USE_DMA=1  (remove the hash mark).  Then cp
> 'harddisks' to 'harddiskhd?' where ? equals the drive letter for
> each CD drive. Notice the last 's' was removed also. You'll need to
> be root.

I had done that - following your advice from an earlier posting <grin>

>     All that might not be necessary tho, check first with
> 'hdparm -v /dev/hd?' that it doesn't already show 'using_dma' as
> =1 (on).  Bottom line is CD drives are notoriously slow, no matter
> the spin rate advertised. CD-RW's make better readers than plain
> CDrom drives.

According to dmesg, both drives were disabled. That default safety thing I'm
assuming here.

Anyways, I suppose its because SCSI is its own sub-system and things get
handed off to it that makes it nice.

As I mentioned, its really only during burns and dupes that you notice the
high resource use and a general slowdown in responsivness. I've still got my
SCSI hardware - I'll have to mull over what to do.

Thanks as always for your input! :-)

--

                                                                        /\
                                                                Dark><Lord