kjc wrote:

So. Do I undertstand you to say that. Even 400MHZ FSB MB's only go up to 66MHZ.
I'm curious. Can you elaborate on this.

I found this definition here http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1018-8-20548580-4.html

The front-side bus (FSB) is the segment of the system bus that carries data between RAM and the CPU; it generally has the greatest effect on overall benchmark performance.

I think the FSB actually is between the CPU and the northbridge chipset. At any rate, the FSB speed is independent of the PCI bus speed. As to your question, most consumer PCs just have the 32-bit 33 MHz PCI bus. Higher end systems (like Intel's Xeon and AMD's dual processor Athlon MP) add a couple 64 bit slots running at 66 MHz, but be aware that the cards you put in these slots have to be designed for this higher speed. Just putting your 32-bit 33 MHz card into one of the 64-bit slots won't buy you anything. There are very few cards built for those slots, typically SCSI controllers. Finally, there are many efforts underway to overcome PCI limitations. PCI X seeks to stick with the PCI slots but up the frequencey to 100 MHz; few PCI X motherboards are available. Intel is trying to push a new, incompatible bus technology - I think the latest name for it is PCI Express, though it used to be called 3GIO (3rd generation IO).

Joe Hill wrote:

On Tue, 27 May 2003 16:06:47 -0500