Stephen Kuhn wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 05:33, ajx wrote:
>
> > Yes, all I did was choose partition, not disk, boot record.  (Like
> > Graham's setup, if I've understood right).  And the acid test is that it
> > works, at least for booting once.  Why, after booting, it leaves its own
> > partition inactive is a mystery.
>
> That is fairly weird. You can boot into it once, then not again.
> Something's definitely fishy there mate.

That's what I thought.

> > I'm wondering whether this is possibly connected to your advocating
> > installing Windows on its partition 1st then moving it to the 'back' of
> > the drive - before installing linux at the front?  Or is that just a
> > legacy of the 1023 cylinder limit?
> > Thanks for the reply.
> > John
>
> Generally, it would be to maintain "the 1023 legacy" but I have run into
> issues with "modern" kernels and distros, and have found that by putting
> the linux partitions before the 1023 mark (at least the /boot and
> whatever other partition you have on your primary hard drive) eliminate
> problems with changing other partitions that live on the primary drive -
> EXCEPTING Windows - which constantly claims the #1 spot in the partition
> table (thanks Microsoft).

My linux partition is after the 1023 mark - which may be part of the
problem.
So what you're saying is that position on the disk and position in the
partition table are independent - number 1 in the partition table could
be number 4 on the disk?
That I didn't know.  Of course, I didn't need to know it, but then this
list is a rich seam of things one shouldn't need to know - but if one
doesn't know them one can't do what one wants to do ..
Thanks Stephen
John