quoting T E's missive of Monday 02 June 2003 08:00 am:
> Charlie,
>
> How can we install that theme you gave the link for?
> I've never done themes before...  Can't find anything
> on the web either about how to install RPM themes on
> MDK 9.1
>
> TIA!

<whack>

ftp://ftp.easynet.fr/plf/9.1/i586/kdemoreartwork-kwinacqua_mod-0.1-1plf.i586.rpm

You'll need to do a couple of things first in order to indulge your passion
for "Eye Candy." <g>

Go here;

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

"fill in the information" for the Mandrake version you're running, pick the
"sources" you want (pull down menus), click "Proceed to Step 3" and use the
generated commands (see below) to add the proper source repositories to your
"Software Sources Manager." You could figure out how to do the same thing by
picking apart the scripts from Olivier's page but why? In other words you'll
eventually become addicted to the command line interface anyway. Nearly
everyone does. For many tasks it's just plain easier.

Since the most reliable way to install and run the theme package you want
without having to learn how to compile and install from source code is to use
the PLF mirrors, you may also want to avoid the "invalid signature in
package" yap yap etc by adding the relevant gpg keys. Software installs are
done as root so you'll need to import them into your root "keyring." Use the
command line. It's easier. The <enter> means to do exactly that, strike the
enter key after typing the command.

First open a terminal in "Super User Mode" while you still have the browser
open to the ~nanrdon page. As root in other words. There are other ways but
this gets you used to typing instead of the "Copy and Paste" syndrome that
Windows users I deal with are inflicted with. Then, since it ain't installed
by default IIRC, install lynx by typing:

urpmi lynx <enter>

Give it the disk it asks for, when the install is done (you'll be back at the
command prompt.) type:

lynx -source http://plf.zarb.org/plf.asc | gpg --import <enter>

lynx is a 'console' (text mode) browser; a very fast one that you probably
*_don't_* want to run as root too often! But it's great for things such as
this.

Now, recall where you left the GUI browser window? You've chosen source
repositories for plf, contrib, maybe texstar, possibly the jpackages? OK.
After you hit the step 3 button a lot of lines of script appeared in the
'terminal' display. It's going to look like the page at this link, but I'd
still prefer you pick your own even if it's just for the exercise. <g> The
best way to learn is by doing. With help of course. ;-)

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php#third

this is an example of what you'll see in that "black box" on the page:

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/9.1 with hdlist.cz

just type exactly what's there and strike the enter key. That will add the
source, or if there's a problem you'll egt feed back in the terminal window.
If you do get a warning or error it may simply be that the mirror is refusing
connections due to the sheer number of people connecting. Just try it again
later. If that isn't the case post the errors here and we'll have one of the
gurus pick it apart for you. I'd be out of my depth you see. lol

>From Olivier's instructions on the page:

"If you get an error, please check the mirror is accessible, and not over
connection limit.
 Also, you might want to type urpmi.removemedia -a first, in order to
reinitialize urpmi's setup."

To answer your original question; after you've selected and updated the
sources for packages by using the commands found on the Easy urpmi page just
type:

urpmi kdemoreartwork-kwinacqua_mod-0.1-1plf.i586.rpm <enter>

and watch the progress. When you've done using the terminal just type

exit <enter>

until it goes away.

The theme will appear in the KDE Control Centre ("K" menu button,
configuration, Control Centre. Or KDE, Look 'n' Feel, Theme Manager) for your
optical enjoyment. You may have to log out and log in again, but that still
beats a Windows reboot special doesn't it? Have fun!

Damn! Did I write another book? Sorry everyone.

Regards;
C.
--
Edmonton,AB,Canada Registered user 244963 at http://counter.li.org