On June 1, 2003 01:42 pm, JoeHill wrote:
> On 02 Jun 2003 06:32:28 +1000
>
> Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> > What kinda modem ya getting?
>
> Some providers give you a modem-connection-sharing-NAT thing all in
> one?!

Now that I have the reply working right :-)

BEWARE of those all in one NAT thingies.  The vast majority of them will
install on any OS, which is nice.  However almost all of them have funky,
crappy brute force built in firewalls that will screw just about anything you
can think of up.

Tell the phone company (or cable company for that matter who use a slightly
modified version of the same thing) to bring out a nice, simple modem that
does not contain a firewall or, if they insist on a NAT thingie insist that
they disable the firewall before installation.

(Has had to do more than enough repair calls on just this problem. :-) )

ttfn

John