Hello Frankie,

Sunday, June 8, 2003, 11:54:45 PM, you wrote:

F> I made a point of not using cookies on our gateway.. For the simple
F> reason that you can't guarantee that the user will accept them or
F> that the client is capable of accepting them..

Agreed. I block most cookies, but know to allow them for transactions.

F> personally I deny any cookie that isn't set to expire within a day
F> of being set.

Good practice, from my view. Most cookies are not like that, however,
the worst being from the trackers. Theirs usually are set to hang
around for 20-30 years. :-)

F> You are correct about often the same techniques being used for
F> spying, its sad that that is the case, but that doesn't mean that
F> ecommerce should stop using them.

I understand your point of view. There is a problem on both sides. M$
is not in an advertising blitz to convince the masses that they are a
nice company. They are addressing the issue of trust by mass
advertising.

F> Wait till paladium hits us.. then it will all be digitally signed
F> and available to M$ and all its advertisers (agreed to via EULA)
F> and the web will suck worse.

Don't get me started on Palladium. A huge disaster in the making,
IMHO, at least for users. Important as a key part of the M$ takeover,
though.

F> How do we validate that it was YOU that submitted that info if you
F> show up as blank in all validation???

I agree that this a complicated issue, especially for a gateway. Do
you like the personal certificate idea, assuming it can be turned on
(for transactions) and off (for privacy while surfing) by the user?

F> To make sure all the communication between the users browser, the
F> cart, and the payment gatway is all legit is a difficult task.

Agreed.

F> so our gateway does a number of IP tests to ensure that should you
F> be a nasty character, we at least have a starting point to come
F> after you.

Here's where we have the trouble. The same techniques that you would
like, and need, are EXACTLY the tools that permit horrendous invasion
of privacy. I'm not sure I see a good way around that except for
strong legislation, and that is extremely unlikely. Why? Well, the
government LOVES to spy and and would LOVE to control its population -
they're not going to be for restricting snooping. Business Loves to
spy also, and says it 'needs' it (yeah, right) - they're not going to
be for restricting it either. When these two get together, watch out,
we're in trouble.

F> The web can be a nasty place for online stores.. don't punish the
F> good guys (the ones that don't spam you silly or track you for
F> advertising purposes).

It might be nice to have a site that rates other sites from the
privacy point of view, but I'm afraid the lawyers would attack it in
less than 50 milliseconds. :-)

F> (our security was not limited to the above, we also created hashkeys of all
F> form data to be validated at both ends to ensure its not changed and a
F> number of other tests as well.. but nothing is perfect, we just have to do
F> the best we can.)

It is nice to hear your side of this. Any ideas for a win - win
solution, good for both sides?

--
Thank you,
 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]