On Thursday 12 June 2003 09:00 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:
> On Thursday 12 June 2003 12:41 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmm, this sounds like bad design in kmail rather than a breach of
> > > etiquette. It is not difficult to imagine times when you would
> > > want to reply and include the original writer's sig. If anything,
> > > kmail should offer the option of turning off automatic deletion
> > > of the sig, or allow the user to select the text from
>
> thehttps://localhost:10000/
>
> > > original to be included in the reply (select text, click Reply).
> > > Sylpheed offers both options.
> > >
> > > How do other MUA's handle sigs in a reply? What else are people
> > > using--kmail, sylpheed, evolution . . .?
> > >
> > > Todd
> >
> >     Notice before my sig the two hyphens.  This is not bad design,
> > it's a long time internet standard, that the sig is proceeded by
> > the hyphens so that sig's are ignored by servers.  If your mail
> > reader includes sigs in replys, that are properly separated from
> > the mesg body by the hyphens, then it's your email client that has
> > a bad design.  Kmail properly and automatically adds the hyphens
> > before the sig.
>
> Right, this is the first I've seen or heard of a problem with sig lines.
> My kmail seems to read it all without a problem.  Am I missing something?
> Nothing appears to be amiss.

Dennis:
They show up fine when I'm reading my mail, but KMail chops them off when I
enter a reply. I don't see that as a problem -- in fact, I like it, as it
saves me the chore of deleting any stuff that may get appended to the
message. (After all, how many times do we need to read about the services of
the Mandrake Store -- in one message?)
-- cmg