On Sunday 15 Jun 2003 3:55 pm, Technoslick wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 22:24, L.V.Gandhi wrote:
> > On Saturday 14 Jun 2003 12:16 pm, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> > > DId you logon to your router and adjust things there? I've got a Dlink
> > > router and it let me assign the range of IP addresses to be used for my
> > > 3 comp LAN. I'm using DHCP here and it works fine.
> >
> > What are the advantages of using dhcp for such small network of three
> > computers. Kindly explain. I have fixed ips for my LAN of 5 PCs.
>
> Some advantages:
>
> 1) Great for anyone who periodically inserts temporary clients into
> their network. (i.e.: service techs, fast-moving families with teenage
> kids..)
>
> 2) Large networks where manually adding entries to all the
> 'hosts'/'lmhosts' files would be a PITA, especially if clients are
> transient and variable.
>
> 3) Once setup properly, it does make the process pretty mindless on the
> admin's part. No fuss, no muss.
>
> 4) With a router/gateway DHCP server, simple to setup. K.I.S.S.
> principal, at its best.

I have always used static addressing because I have never been able to work
out how clients can be addressed by hostname when there is no fstab entry.

Surely the DNS server has to be made aware of the dhcp clients so it can
resolve hostnames for other clients.

If there is an easy way of doing it (with djbdns server) then I would be
interested to learn.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net