On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 17:08, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 00:31, Technoslick wrote:
>
> > I've got LICQ configured on my MDK 9.1 workstation with my ICQ accounts.
> > I tried to open the needed ports on my router for a full chat session,
> > but it doesn't seem to be working. I cannot create a peer-to-peer chat
> > session, just IM. Obviously, the router is not seeing 'licq' as the
> > program requesting the use of the ports needed to do so. Could this be a
> > syntax error on my part? Isn't the name of the executable running,
> > 'licq'?
> >
> > Does anyone know what I am missing?
> >
> > TIA,

> Linux isn't going to necessarily TELL you what program wants to use a
> port - just that a port is requesting to be opened. Just "force" open
> the ICQ ports and you should be right.

I'm not sure that that makes sense, Stephen. If I run "top", I see
"licq" running. It would seem to reason that licq would be the program
to make the requests through the firewall on the ports that it expects
to communicate through...UNLESS, another program or file is actually
doing the communicating on behalf of 'licq'. This is very possible since
man apps rely on a substructure program to fulfill the desired function.
I could just manually open the ports when I want to, but it makes no
sense for me to manually open ports 1024-65535 and then just as manually
shut them down after a chat or video conference session when I have the
ability to let the router do it dynamically. The whole point of 'port
triggering' is to allow apps that need port access to trigger the
opening of these port for only as long as the app is requesting, then
they are closed automatically. I have told the router/firewall which
ones to accept in the Web interface. The triggering is nothing more than
the executables trying to get through. It works fine in Windows.

So, what do you think? If 'licq' is running, is *it* requesting the
ports or some other supporting program? If the latter, any idea what
that/they might be? I would have thought someone using a Linksys
Etherfast Cable/DSL Router would have dealt with this issue by now. It's
a great feature that's not available in all firewalled routers.

Thanks for a shot at anyway, Stephen.