On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 18:56, rikona wrote:
> Hello Technoslick,
>
> Monday, June 16, 2003, 3:21:54 PM, you wrote:
>
> T> Your spyware software, commercial or malicious, is going out ports
> T> that would be open in all firewalls that allow HTTP access: port
> T> 80.
>
> Not necessarily. Tiny, for example, can be set so that the ONLY app
> that is allowed to access port 80 is the browser. You can then browse,
> but NO other app can access port 80. Also, a major advantage to using
> a non-M$, self-contained browser is that apps using just part of IE
> will pop up as non-allowed accesses. Some spyware apps try to 'tag
> along' on IE coat tails, to be less evident.

I should have said 'hardware' firewalls, as in the routers that we have
been discussing here. My boo-boo. You re right, as I later suggested
with software firewalls (liek tiny).

No software has the dubious honor, as I.E. and Outlook do, for being the
most violated. Their probably should be a tribute and a loud wailing
done in sympathy, or something like that. ;0)

> T> The general attacks from the outside are going to come in from port
> T> 80 because the attacker only has to find you in your Web browser to
> T> get at you.
>
> Not necessarily. A stateful inspection firewall can recognize that
> this attempt is not related to your browsers traffic, and will not let
> it in even if you are browsing. This would not be the case if you are
> being attacked by the site you are visiting, though.

Again, I wouldn't argue this and should have been more specific. It's
the browser related attacks that are not stopped well by a hardware
firewall. Not at the under $100 USD level. Software takes care of that.

> T> I like to think of the hardware firewall as more like heavy armor.
>
> An excellent combination for the truly paranoid is a stateful
> inspection firewall protecting the local net, and individual
> app-aware fw's in each machine.

Agreed.

> T> With plug-ins, NSN IM and Yahoo Messenger can now do Video
> T> conferencing.
>
> As more and more apps require flexible multi-port operation, the
> protection from fw's is becoming like Swiss cheese. :-)

And that, my friend, is '..the crux of the biscuit...', as the late
Frank Zappa use to say. <a momentary bowing of the head in deference to
a giant in Alternative Rock music> There's this skittish balance act
between securing your PC and/or network against the outside and being
able to communicate with it. Most of us (including myself) are trying to
divine the secrets of being able to enjoy the wild side of computing
without getting our nips clipped from unfriendlies.

Throw me the diving rod and dice, will ya'?