On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 02:13, rikona wrote:
> Hello Technoslick,
>
> Monday, June 16, 2003, 12:00:42 PM, you wrote:
>
> T> No, thankfully. It just has to be an executable that shows itself
> T> in calling for services through ports that need to be opened.
>
> Are you certain that it actually knows that the exact app is running
> on the original computer? This might be just port triggering in which
> ANY app on *THAT* computer will trigger the port to open, with
> returned packets routed to that IP. (The router remembers the IP
> address, NOT the app running). It might be that the app name is just
> there to help the reader remember which app is using which ports that
> are being triggered.

'Port Triggering' is the feature present on this particular
router/gateway. No other app but the one assigned in the router, and
only to the extent that the range is specified there, will open any
additional ports. If I specify the exact name of the executable that
will be needing specific ports open, it would seem logical that any
client on the network that runs this app will dynamically open the
specified ports upon request. I have checked this out. Any PC in this
house can run ICQ, simultaneously, at that, and those ports do open up
to allow for the need. Secondly, running another IM needing a similar
set of ports open, same machine or another, is dead in the water. This
feature is specific as well as dynamic, and will not allow other traffic
through not specified in the router. That's Port triggering...at least
the way Linksys does it. :0)

> You could check this by having two apps that use the same port. Place
> one app name in the router table, but run the other app on the same
> machine, and see if it opens the port anyway.

Been there. Done it. Doesn't work.

> BTW, port triggering does not need H.323 to work, and would work with
> the linux box, for any app, just as well.

That may be. I was speculating since there was not better to do with my
limited understanding. ;0)

> Dynamic port triggering is certainly better than static port opening.

You got my vote! I like this feature immensely. If I have to open up my
firewall, I want to do so transparently and for the least amount of
time.

> I am comforted by having the fw first check the md5 signature of the
> designated app - if it's OK, then open the port for that app only.

Your current firewall, you mean?

> T> Exactly. If you have ICQ (continuing the example) run at different
> T> times over the network by different clients, you would need to go
> T> into DMZ just to keep up with the requests. If you do that, it
> T> can't be a firewall anymore.
>
> T> To provide software firewalls on each client that would do this as
> T> needed, you still would have to put the router's firewall into DMZ or
> T> nothing gets through the firewall barrier to the Web.
>
> Not necessarily. A stateful inspection firewall can provide protection
> without needing to create a DMZ. I run a SI firewall, with app-aware
> fw's on each computer. The SI firewall does not need a DMZ (at least
> for this purpose). The app-aware fw's allow ONLY a specified app for
> the designated port(s), and will deny the same port(s) to any other
> app.

I think you missed my point. My position on this discussion has been
geared toward the particular situation in which some of us are in: we
use a hardware firewall (via router) and wish to open ports for H.323
communications. If the router cannot open ports dynamically, it will
require being placed into DMZ mode (for those that didn't know this, DMZ
-- De-Militarised Zone -- means all ports open!) Some routers are not
able to provide dynamic ports at all. These will have to be placed in
DMZ mode, as well. I have a friend who's using an SMC Barricade
router/gateway/firewall that is an excellent device, but not capable of
Port Triggering or Dynamic Ports. To video conference, that router must
be placed into DMZ mode. With Dynamic Port Triggering, the router
automatically adjusts port usage for the specified apps that would need
it, as needed.

Where I think we are running two separate ideals here is that I'm
assuming that whether an SI firewall is in use or not, the router's
firewall is still functional. In this scenario, it doesn't matter what
the SI firewall will, or will not do. If the last firewall to govern
inbound/outbound traffic is the router, it ultimately rules. Do you see
my point?

I think what you are telling me, correctly so, is that *if* I had a
stateful inspection firewall running, and tweaked properly, I wouldn't
need the hardware firewall. I wouldn't argue the point. I think you are
correct, from what I have read about the way they operate. Be that as it
may, it doesn't apply because it's about how to protect ourselves with
what we have -- hardware firewalls that come with our IP forwarding
routers -- and how to open the needed ports without excessive violation
of security.

To summarize, any SI firewall operating behind one of these routers is
at the mercy of that router's capabilities. If the router doesn't have
Port Triggering, either specific ports must be manually opened or it
must be made to go into DMZ mode. The SI firewall would take care of the
incoming/outgoing traffic, as you have said, but only at the expense of
the router's ability to be a strong or useful firewall.

Getting back to the original topic, I'm hoping to find some way to get
my Linksys router to dynamically open ports for H.323 communication in
Linux. Specifying the app name doesn't seem to work. It may be a matter
of finding the correct app names involved. I find it hard to believe at
this time that this is a Windows-only feature.

> T> Gnomemeeting is suppose to be a NetMeeting clone/client. It's got
> T> to be as much a security issue in Linux as in the Windows
> T> environment.
>
> If it needs all those ports, then yes, it would be a big risk. If you
> need to leave that many ports open, why bother with a firewall? :-)

I agree, but again the situation is not a permanent one. I am certainly
not going to have a box run NetMeeting or Gnomemeeting 24/7. Anyone that
would do so would require a set-up that dynamically handles such a need
or there is no point in a firewall. For normal, periodic use, it's
different.

This whole discussion is really a tweaking issue since all I would ever
have to do it put the router into DMZ mode. Then I could communicate in
any way necessary. I don't want to do this if I don't have to.

Thanks for the interesting discussion on SI firewalls. :0)