Thanks to a great deal of help from people here, primarily "the two
Johns", Yesterday I actually managed to "burn" two CDs using Xxcdroast.

Today when I logged on I got two failure lines in my mandrake boot info.
They were both for scd1. They both said FAILED scd1 does not exist.

I checked in MCC to see if the CDRW drive is still listed and it is not.
When I logged off yesterday it was there twice, once as hdb and once as
scd1.

At this point I'm unable to access the drive at all. So I've actually
taken a step backward. When I started the device at least appeared in
the hardware list as a CD ROM and I could use it as a reader.

Below are the contents of my /ect/lilo.conf and fstab files. Do they
give a clue as to what the problem is?

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
nowarn
timeout=150
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda6
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi"
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hda6
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="failsafe devfs=nomount"
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=windows
        table=/dev/hda
other=/dev/fd0
        label=floppy
        unsafe

fstab currently reads:

/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/mnt/hdb /mnt/hdb supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,--,user 0 0
/mnt/scd0 /mnt/scd0 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,suid
0 0
/dev/scd1 /mnt/scd1 auto user 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

Again thanks for all the help with this.

LTR  }}:{(