Langsley T Russell wrote:

Below are the contents of my /ect/lilo.conf and fstab files. Do they give a clue as to what the problem is?

boot=/dev/hda

say's that the lilo boot device lies in your MBR

map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
nowarn
timeout=150
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda6
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi"

I doubt whether hdb=ide-scsi is correct.
hda = your first hard drive,
hdb = your second hard drive if you have one, but is reserved for such,
hdc = your cdrom or dvd , if configured " master"
hdd = your writer if configured "slave" (determined by jumpers on the back of your dives)

so assuming your cdrom is master and writer is slave, I would guess that your writer is hdd, therefore the correct entry in the append line is hdd=ide-scsi. If your writer is configured master then the correct line is hdc=ide-scsi.

Get this correct and your home and dry.

        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hda6
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="failsafe devfs=nomount"

add the hdd-ide-scsi to this append line as well.

        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=windows
        table=/dev/hda

your windblows boot script,

other=/dev/fd0
        label=floppy
        unsafe

In case you ever need to tell it where the boot floppy is.

fstab currently reads:

/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1

where your mandrake OS is

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

I've never known what this does, someone please explain

none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

nor this

/dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

home partition

/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,codepage=850 0 0

this is supermount on your floppy drive, fine if it works.

/mnt/hdb /mnt/hdb supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,--,user 0 0
/mnt/scd0 /mnt/scd0 supermount

well it's trying to supermount a scsi-em hdb, as explained I think this should be /mnt/hdd and /dev/=/dev/hdd if you want supermounted scsi-em drive.

dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,suid 0 0

I don't know what this is and it's wrong anyway. I would remove it.

/dev/scd1 /mnt/scd1 auto user 0 0

Again I don't know what this is so I would remove it.

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0

Your windblows OS

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0

Looks like a Fat32 partition

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

This is always there but I don't know exactly what it does

/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

swap partition.

I think all your've got to do is remove the nonsense lines, and amend the hdb to something like hdd, and make sure they are identicle in both fstab and lilo.conf and it will likely work in supermount, if not, then like me and my machine it will have to be automount, in which case the fstab entries will have to be changed. Supermount is flakey on some machines.

John
--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]