On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:30:13 +0100, John Richard Smith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Langsley T Russell wrote:
>
> > OK John.
> >
> > I've done everything up to " /then copy your new fstab file to /etc
> > directory./" The only way I could find to change the name of the
> > fstab file to fstab1 was to log on as root. When logged on as root
> > none of my desktop files from my standard session are available. So
> > there is nothing to copy. when I log back on as user I am denied
> > permission to edit the etc file. If I can't manage to do that I
> > guess I'll have to undo the name change to fstab/fstab1. how can I
> > accomplish this crucial step?
> >
> > LTR  }}:{(
> >>
> Can you copy to a floppy,
>
> Better still copy new fstab to one of those fat32/vfat partitions that
> you already have a line in your existing fstab, then logon as root,
> then you should be able to make the necessary change in /etc
> directory.  All this ought to be done as root anyway. you are
> constructing system files for universal use, not some oddjob user
> task.
>
> I could get you into a root terminal but then you will have to issue
> root commands which is more difficult for the newbie. Can you logon as
> root  to a root desktop ?
>
> John

If you log in as root, open an editor and go to /home/<user>/Desktop to
find your file?
Or log in as a user, open a terminal, 'su' to root. Then get clever
with 'cp' and 'mv', or run your editor from the terminal (so it runs
as root) and make changes that way.

Richard
--
Registered Linux user 246658 at