On Friday 20 June 2003 08:58 am, Isaac Curtis wrote:

> 8.0.  I'd love to be using one of the newer less clumsy versions but have
> no $.  I'd download a newer version (have a nice fast cable connection) but
> I can't download anything at all because even simple things like gaim won't
> install on my computer from rpm files because it says there are none of the
> basic libraries there (even though going to the software manager shows them
> all perfectly intact.)

How does that keep you from downloading the whole distro???  8.0 is working
for you, just not the way you want it, correct?   You can save the 9.1 ISO to
your hard drive, make a hd installation floppy, and you don't even have to
burn it to CD.  I couldn't get one of my machines to install from CD, so I
copied the iso's to the Windows partition and installed 9.1 from there. You
could make a spare partition on your 8.0 install, download 9.1 to that
partition and run it from there.   Also, Cheapbytes has the whole distro for
$6.99, plus shipping.  Although I consider 8.0 to be a "good" distro, 9.1 is
excellent, and it will run passably on a P200 class machine.  No font
problems (good anti-aliasing built in), prettier KDE, and no lib dependencies
to mess around with.

e.