bay56 wrote:

> > On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> > > I too would also be interested as to why LinuxConf is a security risk. I
> > > don't actually intend to make a direct connection out, I'm relying on
> Win98
> > > SE to make my internet connection, but if LinuxConf has other risks, I'd
> > > like to know about them.
> > >
> > Well, as I said earlier (our messages probably crossed in
> > the email. <G>) it *probably* is a security risk because
> > that service MAY be for running LinuxConf from remote. You
> > can still run LinuxConf from the local console, even with
> > that turned off.
> > I'm just going by what my mentor/boss said and
> > extrapolating. That's why I go into inetd.conf and comment
> > out every service in there...I don't want to leave ANY of
> > those services available. :-)
>
> That seems fair enough - after all, who's macine is it anyway! ;-)
>
> I am not certain I can imagine exactly why anyone would actually want to be
> able to set things from the web anyway -maybe it has yet to dawn on me. More
> probably, I missed the point!

Because my Linux server is sitting in a closet without a monitor.  Or
because the other server is 3 hours away, without a monitor or personnel
available who could help if they wanted.  Think beyond the desktop... :)

--
Steve Philp                     "The Internet is like crack
Network Administrator            for smart people..."