I just re-booted to hdd - 9.0 install - to look at settings for sylpheed and play with
xmms. When I tried to get back into 9.1, it halted with :
EXT3-fs error (device ide0 (3,1): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block -
inode 259074, block 524290
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Two more attempts gave the same results.
On a whim, I shutdown, turned the power off, then removed the power and ribbon cables
and replaced them and it booted normally.

On a number of occasions in the past, on booting into that other os, I wouldn't see
the hd where Windoze lives (during POST or in the boot menu in BIOS) and found that
removing and replacing the cables caused it to show up again in both.

Would anyone have a clue what might be happening here?
BIOS has been flashed with the newest available update.

thanks