On 24 Jun 2003 22:17:08 +1000
Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 21:28, C. Tresenriter wrote:
> > I just re-booted to hdd - 9.0 install - to look at settings for sylpheed and play
> > with xmms. When I tried to get back into 9.1, it halted with :
> > EXT3-fs error (device ide0 (3,1): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block -
> > inode 259074, block 524290
> > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
> >
> > Two more attempts gave the same results.
> > On a whim, I shutdown, turned the power off, then removed the power and ribbon
> > cables and replaced them and it booted normally.
> >
> > On a number of occasions in the past, on booting into that other os, I wouldn't
> > see the hd where Windoze lives (during POST or in the boot menu in BIOS) and found
> > that removing and replacing the cables caused it to show up again in both.
> >
> > Would anyone have a clue what might be happening here?
> > BIOS has been flashed with the newest available update.
> >
> > thanks
>
> Have you tried turning either off or on the PNP/OS setting?

It's off, haven't treid with it on... a few years ago when I first took the plunge
into the Open Source world, I kept reading that it should be off - lots of people were
having probs installing Linux and it worked for me too. I suppose with the leaps Linux
has made this isn't so critical anymore.
I'll try turning it on, but the behavior is intermittent - tiem may tell.