On Tuesday 24 June 2003 05:51 am, JoeHill wrote:

> http://slate.msn.com/id/2084727/
>
> --
> + Joe Hill
> + Registered Linux user #282046
> + Homepage: http://nodex.sytes.net
> + ICQ# 279518458
> + Do what thou wilt, this shall be the
> + whole of the law.
> + Quote of the day from Slashdot:
> + "God forbid the FBI go after dangerous criminals ...
> + I feel much safer with pot smokers and warez
> + kiddies behind bars."

Being a former Mac person myself. I have several thoughts on this.

1). I thought Linux had passed it already, but perhaps I'm confusing it with
some other statistic.

2). OSX is based on the mach kernal, a modular derivitive created by CMU and
as such is not necessarily linux, but very close. Were Apple to be on the
ball enough (and there's presedence to prove otherwise) they could very well
capitalize on the linux movement by making their desktop envrionment run on
linux installations and dropping the mach kernel. After all, even they admit
that its a little slower running applications and for good reason. The mach
kernel while very elegant has one flaw which makes it slower. That flaw is
the very thing that makes it good, its modularity. It can be tweaked and
tuned to the point where its close, but it will never match a straight
kernel.

3). Apple never did intend to supplant MS. In fact, when Steve Jobs took over
he even stated that their intention was NOT to go after MS. Rather it was to
find their own niche. Their niche seems to be graphics as it always has been.
Until Adobe makes a version of photoshop to run under linux, there will be a
need to run Mac. That and the video work that can be done quite easily on the
Mac. Yes, I know there are programs that run under windows, but I haven't as
of yet seen anything comparable on the Linux side. I'm sure someone will
immediately point out just such a program, but until it gets to be well
known, the Mac will still be the platform of choice for video and graphics.

4). I saw the writing on the wall as it were over a year ago. That's part of
the reason for jumping ship on Mac and trying my hand at Linux. Don't get me
wrong, I love the Mac still. If I could afford it I'd be one of those buying
a brand new G5. In fact, these days if I could afford it, I'd buy a G5 and
then make it dual boot with ML 9.1 PPC the other OS on it.

That's just my view as a Mac person.

Tom Williams