John Richard Smith wrote:
I'm thinking about dual booting the same OS but updating the second to test.

I'm not sure of all the implications.

I have a /boot partition. That means I will be overwriting the first kernel init etc, with the same, cannot think that is likely to be any problem.

Lilo will still be in the MBR, but it will have the script from second install,
because there is no option available these days to skip lilo install.Developers please note.

Second install will use it's own /etc/lilo.conf file.
but this is likely to be the naff OS , especially if it goes wrong with the updates.

Not, to my mind, a satisfactory state of affairs.
I want to be booting everything from the first OS /etc/lilo.conf.
Question is how to do that.

F1-rescue - install new bootloader ,
but it's going to have two identicle OS's each with it's own /etc/lilo.conf
how will it know which to choose ?
In otherwords how do I tell it which OS /etc/lilo.conf script it's to use ?

each OS will have it's seperate partition, lets say for arguements sake,
M9.1 OS1 on /hda7
M9.1 OS2 on /hda6

can I pass some arguement in the F1 -rescue - install new boot loader , to tell it which partition to look for an /etc/lilo.conf ?

Does say, F1 - rescue /dev/hda7 make anything useful happen to where it reads /etc/lilo.conf ?

I bet there is a way round this

anyone ?

John

Hi John;
Not sure if I understand all you have said! But to boot two OS:
1st OS install lilo in MBR
2nd OS install lilo in the 2nd OS's hard disk partition. like this root=hda5, boot=hda5 Change hda5 to where ever you installed the 2nd OS
Add an 'other' line in the 1st OS lilo to point to the 2nd OS. like this: other=/dev/hda5
label="Debian" or whatever
In the 2nd OS lilo;

boot=/dev/hda5
root=/dev/hda5
everthing else normal

Now when you boot, select 'Debian' which will take you to the 2nd OS lilo. then select what you want from the 2nd Os.

If you want I will send you my 2 lilo.conf's.

HTH
Charles