John Richard Smith wrote:
Charles Roberts wrote:

Yes. This way uses 2 lilo.conf. One in the MBR (by having 'boot=/dev/hda' in the 1st OS lilo.conf, and the other lilo.conf goes in
/dev/hda9 (by having 'boot=/dev/hda9' in the 2nd OS lilo.conf. If you would like to be more precise about it, read 'man lilo.conf'.

Charles

Oh, yes , I've read that a few times before.

Constructing the lilo.conf file is not the problem.

I want a way that will work with a /boot partition
and give me  DUAL M9.1 choice, and be easy to install and configure.

The question is this .

Install 1,  OS M9.1 on /dev/hda7  lilo in MBR.    fine,
this reads /etc/lilo.conf from partition/dev/hda7

Install 2, OS M9.1 on /dev/hda6 lilo still in MBR but overwrites previous LILO
this will read which /etc/lilo.conf ? because now you have two /etc/lilo.conf
/etc/lilo.conf on /dev/hda7,
or
/etc/lilo.conf on /dev/hda6,

and what is more, if I want to make it read /etc/lilo.conf on /dev/hda7 how do I do that ?
Is it possible ?

John

Hi John,

If I understand correctly, you are booted from /dev/hda6 and wish to execute lilo using the lilo.config file from /dev/hda7! Presumeably as if you were booted from /dev/hda7??? If so:
from /dev/hda6;
make a mount point in /mnt with this command: mkdir hda7
now mount hda7 thus: mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7
now 'cd /mnt/hda7'
now issue this command 'chroot /mnt/hda7 /bin/bash'
This will make this vt (& this vt only) as if it were another OS at /mnt/hda7 (root starts at /mnt/hda7)

'edit' etc/lilo.conf (notice no '/' before etc). this will edit the lilo.conf for /dev/hda7.

now execute 'lilo' and it will use lilo from /dev/hda7 & the lilo.conf from /dev/hda7.
Whatever you do in this vt, it will act like 'root' is anchored at /mnt/hda7.

To get out of this 'chroot' vt, just type 'exit'.

I hope this is what you need.
Charles