Stephen Kuhn wrote:
On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 23:41, Burrows, Scott wrote:

<RANT>
Mandrake IS popular.
I know of the MDKers where I work I'm the only one on this list.
</RANT>

There are unbelievable amounts of linux users, let alone Mandrake users
- but you have to figure that MAYBE 20% of them even participate in the
email lists, votes, or what have you.

Think about THIS for a second:

IF every single linux user actually were tallied up, do you REALLY think
that any of the "statistics" that are compiled by newsworthy sources
would report Microsoft being 90% of the desktop market? I hardly would
think so.

I wonder how they compile these statistics. It's quite possible that since my computer came with Windows 98 (first edition - aaargh!), I too am counted in with that supposed 90%.

There's also the question of how you define "desktop". My computer at work runs Mandrake, and we use it for Samba printing and FTP. Does that make it count towards the desktop statistics or the server statistics? The whole "Desktop PC" thing is an IBM/MS invention, from the days when they were still in bed together (OK, they might not have invented the actual word, but they spread the idea). We Linux users do not have "Desktop PC"s, we have _workstations_!

Fear the penguin.

Sir Robin

-- "Some guy breaking into a government computer system and wreaking havoc makes for a more interesting movie plot than some guy writing device drivers. It's hard to work in a good 10-minutes car chase scene with some guy who writes device drivers..." - tjc, post to LWN

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533