On 24 Jun 2003 04:15:23 -0700
Aron Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In reality if we like a word, we file the serial numbers off and claim
> it for our own.

Heh heh heh. Language does tend to work that way - despite the best
efforts of the bean-counters and their political masters.

In fact one could consider language itself the original open source
project. After all, so much of the English language is words from other
languages which have been incorporated, with or without "spin". This is
one reason why english is such a dominant language. Browsing an
etymological dictionary can be very revealing, in that respect.

Is copyright really such a useful device for the writer, who, above all
else, wants to be read? If the success of a popular song can be measured
by the number of people who find themselves listening and responding and
"using" the words that "mean something", then surely the same thing
applies to code, to some extent at least. Linux is, in effect, for those
for whom such things matter, the language of democracy. If that were not
the case then they wouldn't be trying so hard to suppress it.

Thanks for the laugh.

Janet Blankfield

"The ideal love affair is one conducted by post." JBS

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
   ... life's a beach ...