Hello Stephen,

Friday, June 27, 2003, 5:18:45 AM, you wrote:

SK> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 19:17, Robin Turner wrote:

>> Since the only machines with permissions to print to the Samba server
>> are in our offices, I suspect the "collateral damage" would prove
>> unpopular.  The other problem is that these bogus print jobs only come
>> about once a day, so switching the printer off until we got one would
>> not make me popular either, though it is an option.

SK> Last time I had this problem it was a Windows machine using the wrong
SK> driver printing to a Samba printer - the print job was hung in the
SK> spooler on the Windows machine, and had to be blown out from there. I
SK> used Ethereal to determine the IP addy.

I had this problem on a Win-only local net, with an Epson printer. The
symptoms were a short line on each page, and a huge number of pages.
The data was transferred to the printer buffer and the only solution
was to shut off the printer. If it was a large print job, there was
still garbage remaining on the source computer too, and that had to be
flushed as well, otherwise it would continue if the printer was
restarted.

--
HTH,
 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]