Stephen Kuhn wrote:
On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 19:17, Robin Turner wrote:

Since the only machines with permissions to print to the Samba server are in our offices, I suspect the "collateral damage" would prove unpopular. The other problem is that these bogus print jobs only come about once a day, so switching the printer off until we got one would not make me popular either, though it is an option.

What tools could I use to sniff for the offending computer?

Sir Robin

Last time I had this problem it was a Windows machine using the wrong
driver printing to a Samba printer - the print job was hung in the
spooler on the Windows machine, and had to be blown out from there. I
used Ethereal to determine the IP addy.

Just installed Ethereal - a nice application! It just detected one legit print job. Even if I never catch the culprit, I can have fun sniffing round the LAN.

Sir Robin

--
"Hackers appear to wear black more because it goes with everything and hides dirt than because they want to look like goths."
- Eric Raymond

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi