On Monday 30 June 2003 09:38 pm, Todd Slater wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:28:43 +1000
>
> Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 11:05, Todd Slater wrote:
> > > A colleague has a g4 with cf card. She usually uses the usb
> > > connection to get pics to her windoze machine; today she came to me
> > > and said they wouldn't download--got some message like there were
> > > too many. She has plenty of hd space. Since the pics are on cf, I
> > > figured I'd copy them to my linux box with a cf reader. After
> > > copying, the files were 0 size and I just had the empty dcim
> > > directory. I tried again and the system froze! I was able to see
> > > several subfolders in dcim, some of which had images; one had
> > > something else. I'm not exactly excited about trying this
> > > again--does canon do something weird to format cf cards, or was this
> > > just a fluke? The card is a kingston. I've never had this happen
> > > with my lexar cf card.
> > >
> > > Todd
> >
> > I'd venture to say that something is flaky with the card's file
> > system. Is there a means by which y'all can just format it and try
> > again before you cause harm to the computer?
>
> I was afraid of a flaky/corrupted fs. I suppose we can reformat, but
> she's got 300+ pictures from her vacation!

I had this happen to me on my S400.  It only happened once, but I had a bunch
of pictures with zero file size after the transfer, even though I could view
the pictures on the camera's preview screen.  I solved the problem by hooking
up the camera to a windows box and transferring them through the camera
driver provided by Canon instead of using the card reader.  After getting the
pics off, I reformatted the card and have not had a problem since.

--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx