On Wednesday 02 Jul 2003 7:27 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
>     Does anybody know how to extract the file contained in pars?
> (ie, .p01, .p02, .p03,....). This is gettin to be very popular on
> USEnet for uploading large binaries in parts. I got the
> par-v1.1.tar.gz an compiled the binary, then put it in /usr/bin ,
> but 'par -h' doesn't help much, and Google can't find any docs or
> much of anything for that matter. There's a mailing list, but it
> only has two mesgs on it, and no archive.
>         http://parchive.sourceforge.net/
>
>      I tried both 'par c(check)' and 'par m (Try to restore from all
> parity files at once), eg 'par m filename.p01', but both tell me
> that all the .po's are OK, but all the rar's are missing. I've
> inferred that par files were supposed to contain the whole archived
> original file, save d/l'g by not needing all the rar parts, no?

Par files are not like zips or other compressed files and you cant extract
from them directly. They are of use when you are unable to get all the files
in a large group of files, typically rars. More about how it works here:
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6

par is quitting on you as you have no rars, and therefore it doesn't have
enough information to rebuild anything from the pars - it rebuilds all or
nothing.

(You can make pars for files other than rars. If you wanted you could make
pars for a mixed group of file-types all of different sizes. The pars you
made would all be the size of the largest member of that group.)