On Thursday 10 July 2003 11:55 am, Ronald J. Hall wrote:

> Er, I think that you are supposed to open up /etc/lilo.conf in an editor
> (like vi or kedit) then add those changes.
>
> After that, still as root  or su, from a shell, type in "/sbin/lilo"
> (without the quotes).
>
> That will cause the changes to work the next time you bootup.

see, that's the problem.  i'm opening the file in an editor.  i've used kedit,
kwrite, kate, and kword.  i get into it, if i try to make a change, it
doesn't work.  i get told i don't have write permission or i'll get told it
couldn't save or whatever.  so what am i doing wrong?  is there something i'm
missing about trying to edit these files?  every time i try it's like banging
my head against the wall....nothing happens except i get more confused.

any suggestions?

Mike