Civileme wrote:

> <Adds FIC VA503+ and big drives to his list of things to avoid>

DO NOT add this motherboard, nor big drives to your "avoid" list.

As I've already posted, I previously used a FIC-503+ board along with a
7G and a 6.4G drive.  Neither drive had ANY problems.  Setting the BIOS
to LBA (or possibly LARGE, though it's been awhile since I played with
that BIOS) will allow all operating systems to see all parts of the
drive.  Windows included.

I'm not sure why the original poster seems to think that the MaxBlast
software is required.  From what I recall of the dirty little utility,
it was intended for extremely old BIOSes which didn't recognize drives
larger than 528M.  It's been a LONG time since those BIOSes have shipped
on retail boards.  We're talking early 486 days, folks.

My advice stands.  Toss the MaxBlast disk into the trash.  Forget you
ever owned it.  Modify your BIOS settings to reflect that you're using a
large drive and need Logical Block Addressing (LBA).  All will be fine.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator