I can tell you also that if you upload a file with the name
myfile.txt to your server
and that file contains HTML tags..

IE will render them, most all others we tried will display the source text..

The only way we could get IE to display the page's source code..
was to insert this into the top of the page:

<plaintext>

only IE had this problem.. so it obviously doesn't care about the extension.
If the page has disernable tags, IE will render them...

An example of a page to demonstraite this:
http://htmlfixit.com/tutes/html_tables_bring_order_to_chaos_resources/table1
.txt

Its part of a tute on HTML tables for HTML newbies...

regards

Franki
http://htmlfixit.com