Hi, I am a newbie and I'd like to know what is the best way to update applications in Linux? I've heard something about urpmi but I am not really sure how it works or what it is.

I've attempted to compile sources of newer versions of software (i.e. alsa-snd-cards), without ever removing the currently installed version and I had a lot of compiling errors. I don't know if it is better to compile than to install an RPM.

There should be a generalized standard in Linux that all applications adhere to (I.e. the registry in Windows). Of course whatever it is, it should be better than Winblows.

Regards,
ZS