Grant wrote:

I'm also pretty new to Linux and (so far) have found urpmi to work very
nicely.
It will go to whatever source that has the RPM you want and install it
along with dependencies (usually).
If you're using mdk 9.1 you can go to
http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php
to learn how to set up your sources and begin using urpmi.

I went to the page referenced above and followed all the directions and everything seemed to work perfectly. Then I went to the Mandrake Control Center Update utility, selected everything I could, and it's currently downloading the packages. So, from now on all I have to do is visit that Update utility periodically to keep Mandrake updated? Can the same thing be set up for individual applications? What about automatic update checking so I don't have to visit the utility?

- Grant

Type the following commands as root:

cd /etc/cron.daily

echo '#!/bin/sh' > urpmi.cron

echo 'urpmi.update -a' >> urpmi.cron

echo 'urpmi --auto-select --auto --no-verify-rpms' >> urpmi.cron

This will create a file in /etc/cron.daily called urpmi.cron. The file will then be executed by cron on a daily basis. The contents of the file will update the hdlists (list of packages on the remote server) and will then download and install any updates. Like I said, it will do this once a day.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903)
                "Maxims for Revolutionists"