On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:42:18 +0100
drew martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>         How do I turn off Xsever?So I can install some new video
>         driver.I have
> tied everything I can think off.
>         I'm running MDK 9.1,I've work out how to get to the folder in
> Terminal,bu keep getting the error message"you apper to be running a X
> sever please,turn off".
>       The drivers are the new Nvidia ones for my TNT2
>                 Drew

Drew, there are some excellent how to's and installation manuals on the
NVidia web pages, i suggest you download and print the ones you need for
reference. But the file you need to edit is inittab found here.
/etc/inittab
you need to set the run level to 3 and reboot in order to install the
drivers (this will put you into full text mode) so you need to be
comfortable editing files without grapical interface (I use mc for this)
when the installation is complete you will need to edit the inittab file
again and set it back to 5 in order to boot back into your x server.
If all went well you should see a NVidia startup screen when x server
starts.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dan Gordon

--
 10:02:20 up 1 day, 12:48,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00
Wed Jul 23 10:02:20 EDT 2003

The world is coming to an end.  Please log off.