Carroll, You MISSED the point!
The point is in the course of REAL life, with real people
(versus robots or machines), issues involving philosophy and other non-list
discussions come up.  (boats, beer, politics, you name it)
It seems odd to me that you could miss such an obvious point, as just the fact
that OT topics come up on a "newbie" list shows we are dealing with real
people, not robots:)
Keith