Thank you everyone for your help regarding the update of the kernel.
It does make sense that the kernel should not be updated but rather be installed as a new package.
What made me assume that the new kernel should show up as an update is the following sentence from the advisory
(http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisories/advisory.php?name=MDKSA- 2003:066-2):

"To upgrade automatically, use MandrakeUpdate."

which is apparently wrong.

Avi