On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 05:06, Todd Slater wrote:

> Sorry for hijacking this thread but . . .
>
> I need suggestions for selling folks at work (a technical college) that
> Linux should be part of our IT curriculum (especially the web
> development/e-commerce part). They want to keep everything Windows,
> .net, .asp, java; I'm not faculty but would like to point out the folly
> of a Windows-only approach. What can I cite (that is not hyper-biased)
> other than the Netcraft surveys showing over 60% of web servers run
> Apache?

Firstly, any IT department that wants to stick to "Only Windows" or even
"Only Linux" is making a costly mistake in that of itself. If you look
at a "network" from an outside perspective - or from a more "macro"
standpoint, it (the network) should be strong, solid and be able to face
any task; hence having a mix of Windows and Linux can only make the
picture stronger and brighter overall. Cost is a factor, security is a
factor.

Where Windows lacks in security, Linux can take up the slack. For where
Linux lacks in "Microsoft proprietary ability", well, the Windows
servers take up that slot. DNS servers? Linux. Webservers? A mix of
Linux and Windows. Fileservers? Linux. Print servers? Linux. Exchange?
Well, obviously Windows. Mail gateway? Linux. Network proxy and
firewall? Linux. Game server? Linux. Streaming media? Windows.

They CAN compliment each other greatly and make for a solid and secure
network. Just have to put aside the BS thinking and get on with the real
work.

As as administrator to a network, I would much MUCH rather spend my time
doing silly things and monitoring a solid network - as opposed to
patching, fixing, fighting crap all the time. When I worked for Samsung
we had a "mix" - and it was a gravy job most of the time. It was,
though, due to the fact that the UNIX/Linux administration and the
Windows administration sat down and thought out how to best approach the
"new network" and how to balance the load according to demand; it was an
"even Steven" deal and in the end, all of our work was easy as pie -
most of us had more than enough time on our hands to do REAL research,
or help out the help desk guys (which was a great thing for them as they
got a chance to learn about network administration and how we perceive
things from sitting in the coms room all day long...)
--
Thu Jul 31 11:30:00 EST 2003
 11:30:00 up 37 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.99, 1.06, 0.94

BOFH excuse #81:

Please excuse me, I have to circuit an AC line through my head to get this database
working.