On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 06:31, Sharrea wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:04, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > This is slightly OT, but I wanted to show something about how consumers
> > think (non-geek consumers that are looking for SOLUTIONS and not OS
> > wars).
> <big snip>
>
> Excuse my ignorance, but what kind of machine do you use in these
> situations?  I suppose its not a PC?  Do you have to use a "server" machine
> specifically?  Just curious.
>
> Sharrea

Here's something from the world I've lived in:

If you're going to build a monster Exchange server, you're going to have
to not only purchase the expensive software, but the machinery to run it
along with redundant RAID arrays and an expensive backup solution.

If you're going to build a monster POP3 server with IMAP capabilities,
you can scrimp on the actual hardware as well as the software, use a
less powerful machine and just add more disks or other bits'n'bobs that
are actually more useful.

You can use a "desktop" PC to build a very nicely done DNS server for a
large organisation; you can't do that with Windows. It would have to be
a monster machine in and of itself.

--
Thu Jul 31 11:55:01 EST 2003
 11:55:01 up  1:02,  1 user,  load average: 0.98, 0.90, 0.90

I Want My Bugs!

An entymologist in Georgia is threatening to sue Microsoft over false
advertising in Windows 2000. "According to Microsoft, Win2K contains
63,000 bugs," he explained. "However, the shrink-wrapped box I purchased
at CompUSSR only had one cockroach along with some worthless papers and a
shiny drink coaster. I got ripped off."

The entymologist hoped that the 63,000 promised bugs would greatly add to
his insect collection. "I had my doubts that Microsoft could deliver
63,000 insects in one small box for only US$299," he said. "However, with
a company as innovative as Microsoft, the sky is the limit. Or at least
that's what I thought." He then asked angrily, "Where do I want to go
today? Back to the store for a refund!"