On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 02:03, Josenildo Marques wrote:

> Definitely worth reading, Stephen. Thanks for the link.
> As a common user without any computing course or refined computing skills, I
> couldn't agree more with the article. One has only to be _open_ to learn
> more.
> I am not sure about this, but I think what kind of prevents Linux from growing
> in desktop use is a hardware item: the modem. It's extremely unbelievably
> hard to find modems that are compatible to Linux. I would have 'converted'
> many friends who have computers to Linux, I would even install Linux in
> their computers, but when I ask them what kind or brand of modem they have,
> either they do not know it or it is an on-board modem that is
> Windows-dependent.
> Maybe this impression is not so bleak. But I'm sure you guys out there can
> enlighten me.
>
> JM

This is a very good point, mate; and in all actuality, I've chucked a
wobbly before just because I couldn't either get a modem working, or
couldn't get PPP up and running easily enough; what is needed is
something NOT like the MCC, but a standalone "wizard" or some such that
would not only detect most normal modems, but also the winmodems (or
rather, have better support for the winmodems - like the HST/HSP - the
Conexant chipsets) so that "first time newbies" can literally do a few
clicks here and there and voila! be on the net - and yeah, I know that
some people are going to say "Well, MCC works great for me!" - but in
reality, it does lack the "friendliness" the MS Windows users are used
to...

With that said, THAT would be one means by which people would switch
more readily - ease of getting on the net.

I make sure my customers' machines are already setup before they leave
the house - that at least ensures that they'll have no complexities
other than the usual crap of "where do I put my downloads?" or "How do I
open a downloaded file?" or "how can I keep the wife from seeing these
pictures?".

--
Wed Aug  6 09:00:00 EST 2003
 09:00:00 up 2 days, 12:48,  2 users,  load average: 2.10, 1.95, 1.78

For the fashion of Minas Tirith was such that it was built on seven levels,
each delved into a hill, and about each was set a wall, and in each wall
was a gate.
                -- J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Return of the King"

        [Quoted in "VMS Internals and Data Structures", V4.4, when
         referring to system overview.]