Its not hard to find linux compatable modems..

Just get an external serial modem and your laughing..

Keep in mind that winmodems were designed as a cheap way to make a modem
where the manufacturer
can leave out half the hardware and make the actual PC do the work..

They are not real modems.. they are really just a link between the phone
line and your CPU.

Having said that, most lucent and conextant winmodems work in linux
nowdays.. (and the two of those make up the majority of winmodems.)

The problem is that it won't really help you get yours working with a
default mandrake install because often the drivers are not GPL and mandrake
refuses to include them in the download distro..

The result is that you have to track down and install the drivers yourself.

Even if you do get winmodems working, your still better off with an
external serial anyway.

regards

Franki