On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 00:08, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 02:03, Josenildo Marques wrote:
> <snip>

> ee more with the article. One has only to be _open_ to learn
> > more.
> > I am not sure about this, but I think what kind of prevents Linux from growing
> > in desktop use is a hardware item: the modem. It's extremely unbelievably
> > hard to find modems that are compatible to Linux. I would have 'converted'

<snip>
> This is a very good point, mate; and in all actuality, I've chucked a
> wobbly before just because I couldn't either get a modem working, or
> couldn't get PPP up and running easily enough; what is needed is
> something NOT like the MCC, but a standalone "wizard" or some such that
> would not only detect most normal modems, but also the winmodems (or
> rather, have better support for the winmodems - like the HST/HSP - the
> Conexant chipsets) so that "first time newbies" can literally do a few
> clicks here and there and voila! be on the net - and yeah, I know that

<snip>

I agree, but I must say I've found configuring printers to print
decently and getting CD-writers to work at all much more of a PITA,
particularly when you compare the ease of doing it in Win$. It was a
major reason driving me to hop from one distro of Linux to another and
will keep me upgrading MD for some time to come, no doubt. Unfortunately
I don't have a Stephen nearby to hold my hand........Whoops!

DougB