I do not claim to be a expert on linux but I have tried to use external
modems on Mandrake 9.1 on two box's and have not been able to get them
working.
They dial out, go through the hand shaking, get a connect , start ppp and the
just re-dial. I unchecked the lock and tried every speed setting but no joy.
Did not want you to spend money when you were happy with the winmodems.
Roly

--
"MicroSoft - The company that made the internet unsafe!

                Linux Counter #241069